October 6, 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness



 October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is an annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease. While most people are aware of breast cancer, many forget to take the steps to have a plan to detect the disease in its early stages or can not afford it. When was your last Mammogram?
I had my last Mammo about a year ago. It wasn't comfortable but it's something that needed to be done and I was happy to do it. 2 days later I got a phone call asking me to come back in for further examination and X-rays.
I got a little nervous of course and those minutes waiting for the final results jolted me a bit. I started thinking about all the women in my life that have been affected by breast cancer. I have girlfriends that have lost a mother due to the illness, Even lost their own lives, One who is going trough chemo right now, clients of mine that have been diagnosed and shared with me every step of the way. I have donated my time at many Relay's For Life as well as lending my skills of make up artistry for the cause.
I donate money every spring to the cause, I support friends that ask for donations for their physical challenges such as long distant biking or running for cancer....still I feel like I don't do enough!
Thankfully in my case the results of my X-rays were just a false alarm and I felt privileged as a woman to have Insurance that pays for these kind of preventive services.
In the month of  October you will surely be inundated with pink products aimed at raising money for the prevention and treatment of cancer.
Buying pink can be an easy way to show your financial support for the cause, but before you open your wallet, make sure you know how much of the purchase price is actually going to charity or medical center, and what the money will be used for.
Here are my favorite pink things to buy to show my support for the cause

Hair Ties $ 9.75- 20% of proceeds will benefit The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. 




Carolina Herrera T-shirt
One hundred percent of sales will go towards Key To The Cure, Saks Fifth Avenue's campaign to fight cancer in women $35 www.elle.com 



 eoa Berry Blossom Hand Lotion and Strawberry Sorbet Smooth Sphere are together in one sweet package, both products make the perfect pair to delight your skin and all of your senses
100% of profits from this sale will be donated to further the advancement of research for treatment and cure for breast cancer. $ 6.99

"The Scarf" 
50% of proceeds will benefit Go Pink which provides education and research funding for integrated cancer care 
$56
 


Personal Favorite..... Evelyn Lauder Legacy Collection Necklace
Ann Taylor will donate 65% of purchased to help fund important research and bring hope to those affected by this disease $89


KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer
Think pink with this cook for the cure artisan stand mixer. KitchenAid will donate $50 for each mixer purchased to the Susan. G. Komen for the Cure foundation
 JCPenney will give free haircuts and styles to all breast cancer survivors! Plus they will donate $1 for the first 50,000 haircuts given to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Who doesn't love FREE? How can you lend a hand? Join a fundraiser, support buy buying, donate... $100 will pay for a mammogram for one woman in need.
For more information follow these links
  



All my best
Bryn


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I love to find out who's reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...